From the snow-capped summit of Mount Kilimanjaro to the game-rich Ngorongoro Crater, from the endless plains of the Serengeti to the baobabs of the Tarangire, Tanzania is the safari insider’s hot tip. Boasting 14 national parks and numerous game reserves, this is home to the largest wildlife herds on the African continent, as well as the palm-fringed island of Zanzibar, ideal for post-safari relaxation.
Luxury safaris frequent the high-end tented camps and lodges in the Northern Circuit.
Lodge and tented camps we frequently book include:
• Tarangire National Park: Oliver’s Camp, Tarangire Treetops and Swala Camp
• Ngorongoro Conservation Area: Ngorongoro Crater Lodge and Lemala Ngorongoro
• Serengeti National Park: Chaka Camp (mobile), Olakira Camp (mobile), Sayari Camp, Ubuntu Camp (mobile), Lemala Mara or Ndutu (mobile), Serengeti Bushtops and Migration Camp
• Lake Manyara National Park and Karatu: Manyara Ranch, Manyara Tree Lodge, Lemala Manyara, Gibb’s Farm, Plantation Lodge and Ngorongoro Manor
• Lake Eyasi: Kisima Ngeda
• Arusha Coffee Lodge, The Bay Leaf and Onsea House
High-end lodges offer private bungalows or tents and are usually limited to about 15 rooms. All rooms have an en-suite; while the tented camps consist of a bedroom with a sectioned off bathroom adjoining. Mobile camps are lightweight camps that move seasonally while permanent camps are located in the same place year round. Permanent camps and lodges may offer amenities such as swimming pools, spa services and hardwood floors.
During a luxury safari, early morning and evening game drives are most common with a break for lunch. We recommend arriving at the lodge at least one half hour before sunset to get acquainted with the camp and its environment.
When possible, we book only environmentally friendly lodges that utilize solar energy, compost waste and are built from locally available natural materials.
Night drives, bush walks, cultural tours and other activities can be arranged at some camps. A Serengeti balloon safari extension can be added in the Serengeti.
Your overall budget, standard and luxury safari fee covers the following costs:
• All park entrance fees, camp fees and administrative costs
• 4WD Land Cruiser transportation including fuel
• Experienced drivers, guides and cooks (each employee has at least seven years experience in the safari industry)
• All meals and bottled drinking water (vegetarian and other diets can be accommodated for)
• We provide tents, sleeping mattresses, pillows, tables and chairs free of charge, while other equipment such as sleeping bags and clothing are available for rent
Your camping safari fee does not include gratuities/tips, soda/alcohol, lodging before and after the safari, visa fees, health/travel insurance, airfare, or personal equipment such as sleeping bags and clothing.
Please visit our safari packing list page for details on what to bring on safari. All extra gear can be stored at the Great view adventure office or your hotel in Arusha. Be sure to contact us for details!